VfL Wolfsburg are confident their recent good form can carry them past Gent on Tuesday (9.45pm) and into the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time.The Wolves, who won the first leg 3-2 in Belgium after leading 3-0 and conceding two late goals, are fuelled up on confidence following a 2-1 victory over in-form Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.It was their second league win in five days and moved them back into seventh place in the table.“When you win against such a top team like Gladbach then you are allowed to be confident,” said Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs. “We are back in the game.”Wolfsburg, last season’s runners-up and German Cup winners, seem to have recovered from their slump earlier in the campaign in time for the biggest European game in the club’s history.“We know that the tie is not finished yet,” Allofs said. “But if we play like we did against Gladbach then we will advance into the next round.”Julian Draxler, who scored against both Gent and Gladbach, limped off on Saturday midway through the second half but is expected to be fit for Tuesday.Max Kruse, who also scored in both those games, picked up a knock but will be ready to face Gent, said coach Dieter Hecking.“Games like the one on Tuesday should heal every wound,” Hecking said.Gent slipped two points behind Belgian league leaders Club Bruges after a 1-1 draw with second-bottom OH Leuven on Friday. Gent failed to find a winner despite their opponents having their goalkeeper sent off.Coach Hein Vanhaezebrouck is still sweating over the fitness of striker Laurent Depoitre, who missed Friday’s match and Saturday training with a bad back and strained abdomen.Serbian centre back Stefan Mitrovic, whose foot injury has kept him out for two weeks, is also a doubt.Yet even if they are depleted, the Belgians believe they have a chance in Germany.“When we were 0-3 down (against Wolfsburg), everyone thought this away tie would be just a city outing for us,” goalkeeper Matz Sels said when asked if he was optimistic about the return leg.“But thanks to the two goals we scored we have made it a contest. We certainly shouldn’t throw it open at the start because it would be deadly for us to concede a goal.”“Even if we only go 1-0 up in the 80th minute it would 10 minutes of jitters for Wolfsburg and then you never know if you have another good crack with the ball,” he said.
Sports Minister Justin Tkatchenko says the facility is in its last stages of completion and will be fully functional by February to host its first rugby league match where the Prime Minister will do the official kick off. The K170 million infrastructure is constructed by Leighton PNG with seating for up to 15,000 spectators.The seating area for the north, south and eastern stands are completed, seating a total of 10,000 people.The main grand stand has 3184 seats and is half completed with the roofing already installed and a few more seats to be fitted in.The playing surface has been laid out and the contractor claims that the grass is used specifically for rugby league and rugby union and is suitable for the type of climate experienced in PNG.Tkatchenko adds that the field of play lighting is world-class, meeting international broadcast standards together with a first class playing field that meets NRL quality and size specifications.The four light stands around the stadium have been installed and are fully functional. The facility also includes car parking for 200 vehicles, indoor warm up and recovery areas, gym facilities, change rooms, training and warm up field, drug testing rooms and match day medical rooms.Contractors are completing the main grand stand seating and despite the dry weather, the playing surface appears green and well maintained.The stadium will also host the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup in November this year.Tkatchenko said the stadium will also be used for local league games including Port Moresby Rugby League and the Digicel Cup and looks forward to the opening of the facility in the next four weeks.The stadium comes under a trust which is headed by members of PRL and Oil Search Limited to run and operate the facility.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is scheduled to travel to Philadelphia this weekend to kick off the National Education Association’s minority outreach campaign. Villaraigosa is scheduled to speak at the NEA’s meeting at 10:30 a.m. Eastern time on Sunday at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. The NEA Grassroots and Media Minority Community Outreach Campaign is aimed at keeping racial minorities in school, according to the mayor’s office.
Coral’s Dave Stevens joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.talkSPORT has live commentary of Northampton v Manchester United in the EFL Cup on Wednesday night and the League One side are 12/1 to inflict a fourth straight defeat on Jose Mourinho’s men.Elsewhere in the EFL Cup, Stoke are 5/6 to beat Hull and ease the pressure on manager Mark Hughes, Southampton are 11/10 to beat Crystal Palace, while Manchester City are 1/2 to win at Swansea.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
Zlatan Ibrahimovic 1 Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been named Sweden’s top player for a 10th successive year and will have a statue erected in his honour outside the stadium where he embarrassed England.The Manchester United forward received his ‘Guldbollen’ – Golden Ball – award at a ceremony in Stockholm, extending a run of successes that began in 2007.Ibrahimovic, who also won the award in 2005 before losing out to Fredrik Ljungberg a year later, left Paris St Germain for Manchester United in the summer and has experienced mixed fortunes at his new home.But in Sweden he continues to reign, despite bringing his international career to an end after Euro 2016.A bronze likeness of the 36-year-old, being created by artist Peter Linde, will soon stand outside the Friends Arena stadium in Stockholm, where Ibrahimovic scored a stunning overhead kick to cap a four-goal haul against England in November 2012.Ibrahimovic said: “After all the hard work for 15 years in the national team, and 20 in my club career, it feels like it is appreciated. The guy from Rosengard will get his own statue in the capital. A big thank you to everyone.“It’s huge for me. Most people do not get a statue until they have passed away.”Ibrahimovic ended his international career with 62 goals in 116 games.Swedish Football Association president Karl-Erik Nilsson said: “The statue is a way for us to thank Ibrahimovic for his amazing efforts for Swedish football, but it is also a symbol for everyone to always be reminded and inspired by all he has done. I also hope that the statue to a certain extent can be the basis of a feeling that everything is possible, both in football, but also for life itself. It’s very nice, I think.”Hakan Sjostrand, the Swedish FA general secretary, said on the association’s website: “I think we generally don’t pay enough attention to our athletes in Sweden. Look abroad. There is a statue of a footballer outside every stadium in England, for example.”
Nicolas Otamendi – 8 – Strong in the tackle and coming forward, and took his goal well. Fabian Delph – 6 – Created an opportunity for Sane with a brilliant pass but his defensive inexperience was exposed by United’s equaliser. Gabriel Jesus – 6 – Looked sharp and beat Rojo with some nifty footwork to test De Gea but debate over whether he tried to con the referee into giving a penalty will persist. Manchester City took a huge step towards winning the Premier League title after beating rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford.Goals from David Silva and Nicolas Otamendi ensured the Citizens recorded a 14th consecutive league victory – a record in a single season.Victory for Pep Guardiola’s side sees them move 11 points clear at the top of the table and surely on course to claim English football’s top prize.But how did City perform against Jose Mourinho’s Red Devils at Old Trafford?Click the right arrow, above, to see talkSPORT’s Manchester City player ratings… 14 SUB – Ilkay Gundogan – 6 – Brought a different dimension to the City midfield with some good attacking runs. Vincent Kompany – 6 – Organised and commanding but did not return for the second half. 14 14 Leroy Sane – 7 – His touch was outstanding and he got some chances to show his pace out wide. Fernandinho – 7 – Kept City’s midfield ticking and United’s quiet before switching to defence for a spell in the second half. 14 14 14 14 14 David Silva – 8 – City’s most creative player, made the most of the space he had to work with and finished his goal well. Raheem Sterling – 7 – Made a lively start playing in a central role but could not capitalise on his opportunities. 14 Kevin De Bruyne – 6 – Made some determined runs and forced a good save from De Gea but his passing was unusually wayward. Ederson – 7 – Was caught out for Rashford’s strike but made a brave and brilliant double save late on to preserve City’s lead 14 14 Kyle Walker – 6 – Provided an option for City that was probably underused. 14 14 SUB – Eliaquim Mangala – 6 – Gave City a bit of extra solidity to get the result, despite some nervy touches. 14 SUB – Bernardo Silva – 6 – Held the ball up well as City closed out victory.
Manchester United have stepped up their pursuit of a new right-back due to Antonio Valencia’s imminent departure from the club.Crystal Palace’s young full-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been identified as the prime target – and a £35m plus add-ons bid has already been rejected by the south London club for the 21-year-old. JIBE REVEALED “De Ligt linked to Man United”De ligt concedes a penalty for Netherlands. “Wan Bissaka linked with united”Wan Bissaka scores own goal. Jones and Smalling rn: pic.twitter.com/GLBfnr8tG1— Made Of Black 🎱 (@blackboyshowbee) June 18, 2019 Lampard appears to aim dig at Mourinho for handling of Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea Wan bissaka scoring a own goal so united ain’t interested no more, always loved the bloke— Tommy 🏴 (@_Tommyyyyy) June 18, 2019 Darren Gough discusses if Manchester United should sign Wan-Bissaka 2 Getty Images – Getty boost Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:46Loaded: 5.95%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:46 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreen deals Aaron Wan-Bissaka is being pursued by Man United Is Wan Bissaka scoring that own goal so United withdraw their bid? 😂 He’s thinking “let me cost my nation the tournament and they might think I’m crap, so I don’t have to go to United” 😉 #ENGFRA #U21EURO pic.twitter.com/YymGbtU1f3— Younes H-Hamou (@youneshh) June 18, 2019 It’s genuinely funny as soon as Wan Bissaka was linked with Man United he scores an own goal in his last game.I think this club is truly cursed. pic.twitter.com/jlqVogJvan— Lee (@LivelyLeeGrant) June 18, 2019 Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Linked with United and there you go. Horror own goal by Wan Bissaka #EuroU21— Adwait Bapat (@bapat_adwait) June 19, 2019 United want to pay £50m for Wan bissaka yet he scored the most epic own goal last night 😂😂#mufc— H (@HarryHowells7) June 19, 2019Despite what fans believe, it is said Wan-Bissaka would prefer a move to Old Trafford but is not agitated to leave Selhurst Park and hasn’t submitted a transfer request.The 21-year-old has three years left on his current deal at Palace. He made 39 appearances for the club last season.At the beginning of last month, Wan Bissaka said: “The situation just shows that my performances don’t go unnoticed. whoops Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? latest The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January 2 IN DEMAND You couldn’t write it! 😩10 man England had held their lead for so long, but a 95th minute own goal from Aaron Wan-Bissaka hands France a 2-1 win in the European Under-21 Championship! pic.twitter.com/iBKucdQOnw— Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) June 18, 2019However, the United target had an night to forget on Tuesday evening in Italy during the European Under-21s Championship.He diverted a France chance into the roof of goalkeeper Dean Henderson’s net in the fifth minute of injury time to gift the French victory, even though the young lions led for 36 minutes of the match. punished You can’t blame Wan Bissaka for the own goal. He seen Man United was seriously interested in him, what would you do?— Stanley House 6️⃣ (@StanleyHouseLFC) June 18, 2019 LATEST Tottenham issue immediate ban to supporter who threw cup at Kepa Wan-Bissaka was a standout performer for Palace as they finished 12th in the league.But his own goal last night has fans on social media convinced he did it on purpose to avoid a move to Old Trafford, who endured a nightmare campaign in the Premier League.Have a look at their hilarious reaction below… “But I am with Crystal Palace at the moment. That is where my contract is and that is where I will be next season.“I have got three years left on my contract. It says I am going to be there, so that is all I can focus on now.” Man United Interest Got Wan Bissaka Scoring Own Goals Now 🤣😭A Match Made In Heaven If You Ask Me😂— Roy Jones Jr (@ItsJustRG) June 19, 2019 REAL DEAL Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland LATEST FOOTBALL STORIES Fans are convinced Wan-Bissaka is trying to avoid a move to Old Trafford Solskjaer gives Pogba fitness update and calls him world’s best all-round midfielder
The quarter-finals will be played on the weekend of November 15-17.Draw in full The draw has been made for the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup.Inverness Caledonian Thistle will host Clyde, while Elgin City will visit Raith Rovers.Stenhousemuir will take on Partick Thistle in the other all-Scottish tie.Rangers Colts will meet Welsh outfit Wrexkham at home if they can beat English side Solihull Moors in the fourth round later this month.
JOB VACANCY: EMSC Montessori LTD, Glencar Irish, Long Lane, Letterkenny requires full and part time Early Years Educators.The purpose-built school/crèche is a state of the art facility specially designed to meet children’s needs and also to meet the needs of all Childcare Regulations. The school caters for children ranging in age from 4 months to 12 years.Essential Qualifications: FETAC Level 5 ChildcareDesirable Qualifications:FETAC Level 6 Childcare and or Degree in Early Childhood Care and EducationPlease forward C.V. with cover letter to Maureen Walsh, Managing Director, EMSC Montessori Limited, Glencar Irish, Longlane, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal or email firstname.lastname@example.org Job Vacancy: Montessori school seeks educators was last modified: January 31st, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EmploymentjobsletterkennyMontessori
A young mum has issued a warning to other parents after online conmen posted a picture of her son on social media claiming he was missing.Tricia Greene from Gaoth Dobhair was left shocked when she saw a poster of her son Callan claiming her was missing.The online appeal went viral and was shared more than four thousand times on Facebook as well as Twitter and Snapchat by concerned members of the public. The bogus poster warned ‘Still no sign of Caolan, if anyone has seen him or sees him can they please get in touch!“He’s six years old, been missing since Friday and was last seen wearing the jacket in this picture, Barcelona top & joggies around Springburn Park area.”The campaign, which used an actual picture of Callan, was widely shared in and around the Glasgow area of Scotland.Mum Tricia only found out about the bogus campaign when relatives in Glasgow became concerned about Callan thinking he was missing. The post which went viral claiming Donegal lad Callan was missing.They contacted Tricia only to find out that Callan was safe and well at home in Donegal.Tricia then spent hours trying to get to the bottom of the bogus online campaign and asking people to delete the message and not to share it anymore.She said she doesn’t know why anybody would do this but said it must have been deliberate if they took a picture of Callan and put an appeal along with it.“I just want to let other parents know that these things can happen. I don’t know why anybody would do such a thing but it certainly gave me a fright.“I might never have known about this but for the fact that I have relatives living in Glasgow and they alerted me to it. “Thankfully Callan has never been missing and that’s all that matters. But I would hate for any other parents to get the fright that I got when I read this,” she said.Terrified mum’s warning after bogus online poster over ‘missing’ son was last modified: November 29th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalFacebookGaoth DobhaironlinepostSnapchatTricia GreeneTwitterWarning